Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Some People Learned Nothing in Kindergarten

It's a myth that you can become a dog walker and avoid people. They're everywhere.

In my experience, the dog walking profession attracts more socially awkward people than even the computer industry, and that can't be a coincidence. But nothing beats the losers a dog walker runs into during the day. Or in today's example, doesn't run into but finds evidence of their sorry existence.

For the third time this year, I find myself putting my name on my Chuck-it. You know, the long-handled plastic thing that hurls tennis balls further than the bionic man playing fetch with his robo dog?

It's no small feat branding my Chuck-It. Sharpie wears off within an hour on a drizzly day or within five minutes in the slobber factory which is a Pit Bull's mouth. That's right, I have a Pit Bull who steals my Chuck-It when I'm not looking.

The Pit Bull, I can forgive. But who the Hell do you think you are, mystery park thief? When you find something at the dog park that you didn't drop, that doesn't make it yours. Or did you miss that in Kindergarten class? "Oh, here's a Chuck-It lying haphazardly by the gate as if someone had a hard time wrangling all of their dogs into the van while an over protective Pomeranian owner screamed obscenities in the direction of the Pit Bull. Lucky me, I think I'll take it home!"

News flash Sticky Fingers: IF IT'S NOT YOURS, DON'T TAKE IT! See that lost and found basket over there? Use it.

Now I'm one small business owner out a total of $60 for three Chuck-Its. Jerk.

The thought of you encountering you at the park is enough to crush everyone's dreams of being a dog walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment